Mom is a word that is for me happy and sad at the same time.
Mom is not necessarily your birth mom – she can be an adoptive mom or a mom-in-law and in some cases that is really best. I am blessed with a wonderful Mom-in-Law and beautiful children for me to ‘Mom’.
The happy part of Mom is my role in the world that irreversibly shifted when my children were born. I became Mom and that will never change.
As Mom, I strive each day to fill a set of my own mom-requirements:
- Mom is a cornerstone of a family.
- Mom is the person who holds things together when times are tough.
- Mom is loving and kind. (some are not, but they really should be)
- Mom is a duty that is gladly filled.
- Mom is a guiding light for future generations.
I try every day to be that mom to my kids. Some days I shine and other days feel that I must rededicate myself to trying anew.
But every day, I am Mom.
And that will never change.
This post is a contribution to a 5 Minute Friday Challenge by Kate Mojang: “Mom”. Click on over and read some truly wonderful responses from talented writers who dedicate 5 minutes of their time each week to create something really special!